The A Team: Consists of Adam, Amber, Aidyn and Austin

Saturday, November 5, 2011

1 week down

So yesterday morning I completed my 5th radiation treatment. So far it has been too horrible. The first day was hell, I'm not going to lie. I felt pretty good after my treatment so I decided that I was going to go trick or treating with the boys. We were only out for about an hour and I felt fine the hole time, but as soon as we got home I started feeling crappy. Within 30 minutes of being home I was nauseated and vomiting. It was miserable. I knew I needed to eat something though so I asked Adam to make me some soup. Even though I could only eat about half of it, it made me feel better and I was able to fall asleep. On Tuesday morning I felt normal again just a little tired. The first thing I asked for when I walked in the doctor's office on Tuesday was something for nausea. Luckily for me Dr. Bernat is the bomb and wrote me a script no questions asked. So, after treatment was over we got it filled and I now make sure to take it no more then an hour after treatment and I don't get sick anymore :). Other than that I feel pretty good, just tired. Today I feel really good, actually normal which I'm sure is because it is Saturday which means no treatment and I had my treatment at 11 yesterday instead of 3 since they close early on Fridays. One thing that is annoying is the skin on my face is super dry, which by the way is just one of the lovely side effects of radiation on your head. I have a fantastic friend who has gone through radiation herself and she is going to get me some awesome stuff to help me out though :). Those of you that follow me on Fb know that my lumbar puncture came back normal which is amazing news. It seems we caught this very very early which makes my chances of "cure" much higher. I put cure in quotations because you are never actually cured when it comes to cancer, one of the nature's of the beast as Dr. Bernat would say.(Never cured meaning that even if you go into remission, it can come back at anytime, even in different places in your body which is why I will be monitored very closely for the rest of my life.)  Other then that life is pretty boring. I tire easily which means we don't go out of the house much since I usually want to take a nap at some point during the afternoon. We are in the process of finding a new car since my lease is up the end of next month and a sedan just isn't big enough for us anymore. Luckily, my dad is doing most of the researching for us back in CO and Adam and him have been conversing about it. I fully trust their choices since my dad is a retired mechanic, and Adam not only knows my likes/dislikes but he also knows a lot about cars from his years at Saturn. Right now it is looking like we will be getting a Honda CR-V, a Hyundai Tucson or a Nissan Rogue. My personal favorites are the Hyundai and Nissan ;)

Oh and for those of you who were curious what my treatments are like. Well I go in and first thing I do is take everything from my waist up off and put on a sexy gown. Then I have to lay face down on a table with my forehead on one platform thing and my chin(aka my mouth haha) on another. Then Nancy (my lovely radiation therapist) puts this horrible fantastic mask over my head which makes it so I can't move my head at all. Then she raises me up in the air and makes sure I'm lined up right. Then she does 4 different beams. One on each side of my head, one on the top of my head and one on my lower head/upper neck. I think this will change a little this week though since they will eventually treat my entire spine. Here is a picture of the mask I get to wear. (except mine goes over the back of my head instead of over my face)

No comments:

Post a Comment